Snakes, Howard Stern, Grouches, and Gayness

Sponsor 




My little corner of the world has gotten quite a bit of attention lately. We started out with Snake Man of Appalachia on the Animal Planet. This show was actually shot in my tiny town (around 2,000 people) of Mayking/Whitesburg, Kentucky. It was strange seeing someone you know on the Animal Planet. But as cool as it was, we (the town) were represented as backwoods, impoverished, and uneducated. They didn't display any of our southern traditions or hard working population. However, overall it didn't turn out as bad as I had expected.. And it was cancelled mid season.



Next, Howard Stern decided to prank call our Local Radio Station by calling in to the "Swap Shop" I'm not a fan of Howard Stern and the prank was kind of lame. The Swap Shop is a radio show where local people can call in and have like a "radio yard sale". It's actually pretty popular around here. Kevin Day is the host and and a pretty awesome guy. He was not amused lol. 



We've also made news with our "landmark" population sign. 

Read the article HERE


Now, our area has made it to Comedy Central.I saw a clip on the news tonight and thought "Dear God.. This is going to be bad" Turns out, not so much. Vicco Kentucky has an openly Gay mayor. Steve Colbert  spotlighted Johnny Cummings (Mayor of Vicco) in the segment "People Destroying America." Sounds bad right? Really, really bad. I dug the video up on YouTube ( YouTube has EVERYTHING), poured a drink, and prepared for the worst..


I LOVED it! Watch and Tell me what you think.




The Colbert Report
Get More: Colbert Report Full Episodes,Video Archive


Way to go Vicco! I'm very proud to be your "neighbor". Awesome job by Colbert too, putting a humorous spin on the story while still giving props to Johnny Cummings. 

  Pin It!

Comments

  1. This was so brilliantly done. I absolutely LOVED it! I'm from a small town in the midwest so I can very much relate to a lot of this. Congratulations to Vicco for paving the way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment